History of the Baie D'Urfé Curling Club
The idea of a curling club in Baie d'Urfé first occurred in 1954. Charlie Weeks, a town resident and a curler at Town of Mount Royal Curling Club, saw a need for such a club, partly based upon the population increase on the West Island. In March 1957, the club actually began organizing. The official opening took place on February 13, 1960. The Mayor, Tommy Lee, threw the first stone to mark the occasion. There were 250 charter members.
Between March 1957 and February 1960, numerous obstacles had to be overcome. A charter, under the Quebec Companies Act, arranged by Wally O'Connor, President, and David Petapiece, Secretary, costing $25, was issued in April 1957. The Montreal Trust Company held the debenture fees in escrow in a special trusteeship that stated that 200 members must be signed by July 31st. Fortunately, there were 3 days of grace, because the 200th member signed on August 3rd. Many sites were considered, with the “coop area” being the final and most popular one. The land was owned by Lakeview Gardens and ultimately promised to the Town when Lakeview subdivided their holdings. An option on land adjacent to Berthold Park was acquired and subsequently exercised, and then a land swap with the town took place. The procurement of adequate funds was one of the largest obstacles; a $ 60,000 mortgage was finally arranged. Trustees Ernie Ford, Tom Fisher and Odie Grimm were guarantors of the financial security of the Club in its infancy. The architect was Don Cash, the engineer, Colin MacMilan, and Sinclair Supply Company of Vankleek Hill was the builder. A swimming pool was constructed in 1961, at a cost of $ 37,000, with an initial membership of 225.
Peter Howsam, membership chairman, on behalf of the Board, invited Anne Fisher to start the Ladies Section. At the first meeting, held in July 1959, Dorothy Petapiece was named President.
Tom Fisher designed the Club emblem, crest and pin. It embodies the central part of the heraldic crest of the Abbé d'Urfé, the first settler and seigniorial landlord in the area. The Ladies Executive decided the club colours. These were chosen from the silver and vermilion of the duMaurier cigarette box.